Monday, November 21, 2011

Update & House Quirks

So I've been spending the majority of my time running in between our apt & the new house. We've slowly been bringing things over & putting them in the basement for now. The majority of gifts we got at my bridal shower were still in the boxes and in storage on our covered porch, so everything just went straight into the cellar.  Once again I'm kind of in a holding pattern before we can really do anything, there are a few things that need to be done before we can move forward.

We HAVE to get the wood floors refinished before we move any furniture in. The previous owner had 3 cats & there are a number of pet stains on the gorgeous floors. She also kept carpets down & didn't use padding, so there's scratches all over the wood & it's worn out in so many places. Evidance of the cats:


There's also some damage to the flooring & the trim around the hearth. There's a pretty big gap between the tile & the hardwood and if you stand at the right angle, you can see into the basement - no bueno.  I'm not sure how to fix it . I've had 6 flooring companies over for estimates & I've gotten 6 different answers. The wood trim angles up toward the tile & I don't want to change it very much because I don't want it to take away from the pretty inlaid edging you can see there too.

You see that stove there in the fireplace? Yeah, we'll get to that later -
 it knocks my socks off how awesome it is.
 Side Note: DUDES! Do you know how freaking expensive it is to get your floors refinished? Our house is NOT that big (1700 sq ft and that incl. the entry, kitchen & baths which aren't wood floors), and I didn't ask for a custom job on the inlay either. Most people want 4-5 thousand dollars. That's insane.

Then there are the sneaky little things that are exposing themselves as we slowly discover them. The dryer was a total fire hazard. The entire wall behind the washer/dryer was covered in dust. The floor under it was covered too - it was like carpeting all over the concrete. It took me a couple hours of scrubbing and my Dad's shop-vac to get it all off. Thank goodness my brother-in-law is really handy. He helped me replace the exhaust tube & we'll eventually replace the outside vent too. I don't have pictures of it yet, but I promise I will.

I did take pictures of the washing machine though. Have you ever seen an infomercial & thought "But who lets their ______ get that gross?!" Yeah, me too. I saw this tutorial floating around Pinterst a while ago & I kept thinking it was weird. Unless you have hard water, whose washing machine gets that dirty? Well, after I cleaned the dryer area, I checked the washer & immediately searched for that pin.


The house has a water softner system. What IS all that crusty crapola??


We can't really complain about much of the house - they had every room (and the trim work) painted before they put it on the market. I like most of the colors too (for now) - thing is, they only did the parts you can see. Most of the closets haven't been painted in YEARS and they're soooo gross. I took these pictures after I washed down the walls. I had to be careful too, the walls were so dry they were just sucking up all the cleaner and then the old paint was coming off & revealing the plaster walls underneath. I did what I could/had to but you bet these suckers will be primed & painted with the quickness.

Quirky thing #1? The mailbox goes into the entry closet.
Makes no sense,we have plans to change that.
The pantry in the kitchen made me almost want to vomit. I took all the shelves out, washed it down with a painter's cleaner and still this is what it looks like. I mean, who paints the outside of the door, but leaves the inside uub-sgusting?


Oh & the shelves? They're covered in this weird contact paper and other strange stains. Gloves, a mask & a box cutter/blade were used to remove 3 layers of old contact paper. I was going to sand down the shelves and then re-paint them, but I think it might be smarter just to paint the closet & re-cover the cleaned up shelves with new lining.

Ew
One thing I'm psyched for is the whirlpool tub in the upstairs bathroom. I'm not loving the black tiles, but they'll have to do for a couple years because we need the money to fix a few other things first.


The switch to start the tub jets is inside the storage shelves so that little hands can't reach it, which makes sense. Quirky thing #2 which doesn't make sense? Um, why is there a phone jack in the bathroom (and obviously newly replaced too)?


Quirky thing #3 - which I can not believe I didn't notice before we moved in - anyone wanna guess as to why there might be a deabolt on the master bedroom door? Yeah, I dunno either. Musta been some freaky-deaky sh-- goin on in there.


Quirk #4: At first you might not notice it. It did strike me as odd the first time we saw the house but now that we're utilizing the bathroom more it's all kind of annoying - there are no built in towel bars, and no toilet paper holder. The free-standing ones in there now I bought from the previous owner's tag sale (they'll do for now). Also (other than the shower) the walls aren't covered in tile or wainscoting - that could get dangerous/annoying when we go to wash our face & get water on the wall, etc. I'll have to paint the room again anyway - they used a flat paint which is terrible in a bathroom because you can't really clean it & it doesn't block moisture from getting in the walls. Semi-gloss or high-gloss is best in the bathroom, so that'll have to be done. Also, the toilet is really small for the space. I mean, just look at how much smaller than the pedestal sink it is. My 6'1 husband is not gonna love that.


With all these oddities, I'm sure we'll come across some more as we discover them throughout the house. In the meantime - it's frustrating having to wait for this flooring to be re-finished. It's holding us back from moving in because we can't bring anything into the house until it's done. I guess it's a good thing since it's going to take me forever to pack-up/get rid of everything in our apartment but still - I just want to be in, even if we're living among boxes for a couple weeks. 

7 comments:

  1. HAHA Welcome to home ownership! :) Our bathroom didn't have any towel rack things either... and there's no where to put one. We ended up putting one in our bedroom behind the door (random) but seriously. Annoying! LOL Can't wait to hear all your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love this post. Isn't home ownership just wonderful! :) I actually love that your mail slot goes into the entry closet. I used to have a mail slot in my previous apartment that dumped right out on the ground in front of the door and my dog would go nuts every time the mailman dropped the mail in. She'd absolutely destroy the mail. No one could send me anything. I hated that stupid mail slot. Maybe the previous owners had crazy dogs like mine? And the phone jack in the bathroom...have you seen "Three Men and a Baby"? I always think of that movie when I see phones in bathrooms. Best of luck with your home ownership adventures - can't wait to see more photos of the house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This scares me the bejebus out of me. Never buying a house, ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quirks definitely come with the territory! They add character? :) I feel like that's what everyone says about stuff like that. Can be so annoying though. Will definitely enjoy seeing your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kinda like the black and white tiles! Those are some very odd quirks in the house. I think this kind of house that needed some fixing up really scared us when we were looking but if you have the patience and can put the TLC in they can make a great buy and be just perfect after you are done with it. Our bathroom has a towel rack but it's on the other end of the wall away from the shower. We just use our shower door handle to hang them. Funny the things you don't notice until you actually try to use the house. 4-5k on floors. Yikes-but hardwood is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. My. God. I don't know what's wrong with my google reader but I have not gotten ANY updates from you. Then I see your comment on my post about Embry and see your blog has been goin strong this whole time. I'm so upset. I didn't even read this post, I'm going to go back and start from where I left off. *sob* i feel like i've missed so much *sniff*

    xo
    Dani

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, isn't it so much fun to live in a house that was previously owned by someone else? Wednesday afternoon about 45 minutes before quitting time I get a phone call from my hubs and he sounds just down in the dumps. We were covering up a concrete wall with faux brick paneling and he pulled a piece of trim off an adjacent wall and he heard "gsssshhhhhhhh". When they put the trim up, they used a nail gun and put the dadgum nail through, yes I said through, the water pipe so we had a leak on our hands we had to fix! Since the wall behind the wainescoating is unfinished we're guessing that it's been up 28+ years and so that nail has been in that waterpipe that whole time..... Home ownership is fun!

    I hope y'all figure something out for your flooring. And you have to love oddities and quirks in previously owned houses! Can't wait to see what else you find, it makes me not feel so bad... LOL

    and Mark thinks the lock on the bedroom door is because it's NY, if a robber breaks in, at least he'll have to break in through a second door to get you.. LOL. yes my husband is a comedian :)

    ReplyDelete